Would you like to take a look at what is happening in your home while you are out and looking for some software that allows you to do this using your computer webcam or, even better, an IP camera (like the ones I suggested in mine buying guide) to be installed in one or more rooms of your home? Yup? Well, then why don't you take a look at the programs for video surveillance that you find indicated right below? There are really something for everyone!
In the following lines, in fact, you will find listed those that, in my humble opinion, represent the best software currently on the square, thanks to which it is possible to monitor what is accessing in the field of view of the computer webcam or the installed (or to be installed) camera. ; all in a simple and fast way, even for free.
Having said that, I would suggest not wasting any more precious time in chatting and discovering the programs I'm about to tell you about. I am sure that, in the end, you will be able to tell yourself more than satisfied and that, in case of need, you will also be ready and willing to advise all your friends eager to receive some "tips" on the subject. What do you say, we bet?
PC Video Surveillance Programs
Let's start with a review of PC video surveillance programs compatible with all major editions of Windows (and, in some cases, other operating systems as well).
If you are looking for free video surveillance programs in Italian, you consiglio di provare AtHomeCamera. It is a software that allows you to use the webcam connected to your computer as a surveillance camera, offering the opportunity to schedule operations.
Keep in mind, however, that in order to work, AtHome Camera requires the use of a "satellite" device, such as another PC or even a smartphone / tablet, since the program is also available as an app for Android and iOS / iPadOS . I also want to tell you that the software is also available for Mac (as explained below).
To use AtHome Camera, you must first download the application dedicated to the management of video surveillance on your computer and then install the program that allows you to take advantage of the “satellite” PC webcam. To proceed, therefore, install the video surveillance management program by connecting to its official website, by clicking on the wording Download at the top and then pressing the button AtHomeCamera Vx.x.x, which is located in correspondence with the entry Windows.
Once the download is complete, extract theZIP archive downloaded and open the file .exe present within the latter. Now, in the window that has opened, click on the button Yesclick on your button Next four consecutive times and then press the buttons install e Finish. If during the installation you are asked to add the program to the exceptions of the firewall, you agree, otherwise AtHome Camera will not work properly.
In the main window of the software, then, click on the item Register now located at the bottom right and fill out the form you see on the screen, providing yours phone number or e-mail e password, in order to create a free account. After checking the box concerning the acceptance of the conditions of use of the service, click on the button Sign Up.
Now proceed to install AtHome Video Streamer, the program that offers the possibility to use the webcam of the “satellite” PC as a video surveillance device. Connect, therefore, to this page page and click on the button AtHome Video Streamer Vx.x.x placed at the section Windows.
When the download is complete, open theZIP archive you obtained, extract the contents to any folder and launch the file .exe contained within it. Then click on the button Yes and click sui pulsnti Next five consecutive times and then on install e Finish. If necessary, grant the application the necessary permissions to function without the restrictions imposed by the firewall.
Here we are! Now all you have to do is start the program, grant it access to the computer's webcam and microphone, click the button Add Camera and complete the text fields CID room, Username e Password with the information you see in the main window of AtHome Video Streamer open on the other computer. To conclude, then, click on the button OK.
Other Programs for Video Surveillance on PC
There are other free video surveillance programs that deserve to be taken into consideration. You can find some listed right below.
- TeboCam (Windows) - is a free video surveillance application that allows you to transform your PC webcam into a very valid anti-theft and anti-intrusion system. Once started and configured properly, it detects movements in the surrounding environment, alerting the user with emails, in which photos of what is happening at home are attached. The software also integrates with Dropbox and is able to publish the webcam footage online and print the exact date and time when the images were taken on the snapshots taken. TeboCam is available only and exclusively for Windows.
- iSpy (Windows) - yes of an open source software that allows to use webcams, IP cameras and microphones connected to the computer to create a home anti-theft system. Thanks to this software, which is perhaps not extremely easy to use but is as powerful as few, it is possible to remotely configure and control all the cameras installed in the house, receive SMS and email alerts when intrusions occur and view the footage taken by the security system via YouTube (in private mode). iSpy is only available for Windows.
Mac Video Surveillance Programs
Now, let's move on to the side Poppy and let's see, then, what are some of the best video surveillance software available for the computers of the "bitten apple".
If you use a Poppy, you can consider Periscope Pro. It is an application to monitor the home with the webcam of your computer and save the recordings both locally and on Dropbox (so you can easily access them remotely).
It includes support for external IP cameras and allows you to customize many parameters, first of all the framerate and resolution of the videos to be recorded. It is a paid solution (costs 21,99 €), but can be used at no cost for a trial period.
To get the Periscope Pro trial, go to the program website, click the green button Try it for free and open the package .dmg downloaded. Then drag thePeriscope Pro icon in the folder Applications of the Mac and, after going to the latter, right click on the program icon and click on the button apri twice in a row. This operation must be done only at the first start of Periscope Pro and simply serves to "override" the restrictions imposed by macOS on programs that come from non-certified sources.
After installing Periscope Pro, grant the application access to the webcam and microphone by double clicking on the button OK; then start the program, click on the button Try Now (to confirm your intention to use the trial version) and define your preferences regarding video recording.
Then click the button Continuous and select when to start shooting with the webcam: Continuous, to record everything without interruption; Motion detection, to record only when movements are detected; Audio detection, to start recording only when sounds are detected, or Motion + Audio detection, to record when motion and sound are detected.
If you want, you can also define the "sensitivity" of the program, as regards the intensity level of the movements and sounds that must "trigger" the recordings: just move the cursor present on green bar located next to the wording Detection Threshold.
If you want, you can also go to the Periscope Pro settings (by clicking on thegear or by pressing cmd +,), so as to be able to select the resolution and framerate of the videos to be saved locally, activate the automatic upload of the footage to Dropbox (to do this, you need to tick the box Copy video clips to Dropbox folder) and so on. To start the video surveillance, then, remember to go back to the Periscope Pro home screen and click on the button Power, located in the center.
Other Programs for Video Surveillance on Mac
If the solution just mentioned was not to your liking, check out these other programs for video surveillance on Mac. I'm sure they will be useful to you.
- AtHome Camera (macOS) - this is the same application I told you about a few lines above, which allows you to use the PC webcam to video surveillance your home or office. I remind you that, to use it, you need to download the application dedicated to managing video surveillance on another computer (a version for Mac is not available) or on a mobile device.
- AirBeam Pro (macOS) - it is a paid application that costs 4,49 euros and that, in order to be used, does not require any type of configuration. In fact, at the first start, it automatically searches for the other Macs, iPhones and iPads with the application installed and which are connected to the same Wi-Fi network: once found, it starts transmitting the video. You can also turn your Mac into a surveillance device and control everything from your iPhone or iPad using the companion AirBeam app. AirBeam Pro is only available for macOS (as well as, as I already mentioned, for iPhone and iPad).
Remote Video Surveillance Programs
If you are looking for remote video surveillance programs, you can take advantage of various solutions suitable for the purpose, including panels for managing IP cameras and even some online remote video surveillance services, accessible directly from the browser. Find everything explained below.
IP Camera Management Panels
If you bought one IP camera, perhaps one of those listed in the purchase guide that I have dedicated to this type of device, you can use the management panel of the same to access the recordings and check what happens in the environment you have decided to video surveillance. Usually, after having purchased and installed one or more IP cameras, you need to proceed with their configuration following the manufacturer's instructions (generally they are contained in the online guide, in a manual and / or on a CD / DVD present in the packaging. 'purchase).
After connecting the IP cameras in your possession to the power supply, then access the wireless network created by the same using any device (e.g. PC, smartphone or tablet) and, via the configuration panel, set access to the Internet. Once this is done, you should have the camera's unique identification code, called CID, and the username and password to be used to see the footage: just enter these data in the access panel attached to the program or to the app provided by the manufacturer of the IP camera in order to have control over it.
Unfortunately I cannot go into too much detail, as the steps to follow vary according to the IP camera in your possession. In any case, take a look at the user manual of the IP camera in your possession to dispel any doubts or, if you prefer, search the Internet "How to connect [make and model of your IP camera] to the Internet", so as to have more information.
You can get an idea of the steps to be taken by reading the in-depth analysis in which I show in detail how to configure the Hive View camera. While you're at it, also read the insights in which I explain how IP cameras work and how to see IP cameras from the Internet: they will surely help you.
UgologInstead, it is a free web application dedicated to video surveillance which, without installing any type of software on the computer, allows you to use the webcam to detect movements in the surrounding environment. It allows you to view what is happening at home directly from the browser and send alerts in case of intrusions, all without the need for configuration or advanced knowledge from the user.
Before describing how it works, I want to tell you that it works on all major browsers, but requires the use of the plugin Adobe Flash Player (necessary to use it). The service can be used free of charge, but to increase the storage and archiving time of the recordings, you need to subscribe, which starts from $ 9,95 / month.
To use Ugolog, go to its home page and click on the button Sign Up Now. Please indicate yours email address and password you intend to use (twice in a row), using the appropriate text fields displayed on the page. Next, put the check mark on the box I agree to Terms and Conditions and click sul pulsating Create new account.
Pray, fai clic sulla voce RECORD at the top right and, on the page that opens, enable Adobe Flash Player (if you don't know how to install and activate Flash Player, I refer you to the in-depth information that I linked to you, where I explain what to do). Next, grant the service access to your computer's webcam by responding affirmatively to the warning that is shown to you. From this moment, Ugolog will make recordings via the webcam, in case it detects any movements.
To view the recordings, then, all you have to do is click on the item Video, top left, so as to go to the gallery where they are kept. If you want, you can also save them locally by clicking on the button Download, located at the top right, and specifies the format to export videos to.
Other Remote Video Surveillance Programs
Since the PC video surveillance programs and the Mac video surveillance programs I told you about in the previous lines also offer remote video surveillance functions, if you are looking for other solutions of this type, consider the ones I have already mentioned in the guide. : I really think they will be useful to you.
Video Surveillance App
I conclude this guide by listing a few video surveillance app that could be useful if you intend to have your home under control also from smartphones and tablets. I have already mentioned some of them to you in the article, as they are the mobile versions of some computer programs.
- AtHome Camera (Android / iOS / iPadOS) - this is the mobile variant of the program I told you about in one of the previous chapters. It allows you to transform Android and iOS / iPadOS devices into a sort of control center for remote cameras. It should be used in conjunction with the desktop program or companion app AtHome Video Streamer (available only for Android), through which it is possible to see remotely cameras that I told you about at the beginning of the article.
- AirBeam Video Surveillance (iOS / iPadOS) - this is the companion app for mobile devices of the Mac program mentioned in one of the previous chapters. It allows you to access the camera of the other Apple devices on which the application has been previously installed and remotely monitor the rooms to be controlled. It costs 4,49 euros.
- Surveillance App (Android / iOS / iPadOS) - another app belonging to the category in question, which allows you to use your mobile devices as home video surveillance systems. Basically it's free, but you can make in-app purchases starting at € 1,09 to access all its features.