Have you ever heard of DNS server? No? The thing is somewhat strange, you use them practically every day! DNS, in fact, are the tools that allow you to reach the Internet sites you visit by typing simple text addresses (e.g. google.com) instead of long numerical sequences (e.g. 18.104.22.168), which would then be the real coordinates of sites. As a result, knowing how to manage DNS servers and setting up fast ones can make web pages open faster.
Yeah ... but how to find fast DNS servers for your connection and set them up on your devices? Good question! The answer, although complex on the surface, is actually extremely trivial: using gods DNS programs, for example the ones that I will show you in this tutorial, which are all free and easy to use.
What interests you? Yup? Very well. So I suggest not to waste any more time and immediately take action. Position yourself comfortably in front of your trusty PC and immediately start focusing on reading everything listed below. I sincerely hope that, in the end, you can feel very happy and satisfied with what you have learned.
The Best Programs for DNS
Let's start right away with the highlight of the tutorial and discover, together, what the DNS programs that you can use on your computer: find the ones I believe to be the best in the category right below, for Windows, MacOS e Linux. Try them now and you won't regret it!
Namebench (Windows / MacOS / Linux)
The first of the DNS programs I want to tell you about is Namebench: it is a free software compatible with Windows and macOS that allows you to find the fastest DNS servers for the connection in use. Characterized by an extremely essential user interface, it is able to test all the most popular DNS servers, such as those of Google and OpenDNS, by comparing them with each other and with the DNS servers of the telephone operator providing the Internet connection.
To use it on your computer, connect to the program's website and click on the link namebench-xxx-Windows.exe (if you are using Windows) or on that namebench-xxx-Mac_OS_X.dmg (if you are using MacOS) Located at the top of the page displayed.
When the download is complete, if you are using Windows, april il file .exe obtained and click on the button Extract in the window that appears on the desktop. If, on the other hand, you are using MacOS, april il package .dmg obtained, drag theprogram icon in the folder Applications computer, right click on it and select the item apri twice in a row, in order to start Namebench, however, going around the limitations that Apple imposes on applications from non-certified developers (an operation that must be performed only at the first start).
Now that, regardless of the operating system used, you see the software window on the screen, click on the button Start/Start Benchmark located at the bottom right, in order to start the search for the best DNS servers. At the end of the operation, a web page will open with the recommended DNS configuration for the computer at the top right. The test will go on for a very long time, so try to be patient.
Keep in mind that, by default, the program includes global DNS (e.g. Google's) and the best ones for your area in the search. If you want to disable one of the two options, before starting the DNS search, remove the check from the relevant items at the top of the window.
From section OptionsInstead, you can make further customizations to the modus operandi of the program, while the menus at the bottom allow you to select "by hand" the reference location, the number of queries, etc.
DNS Jumper (Windows)
DNS Jumper is one of the best DNS programs available on Windows, through which it is possible to discover the DNS addresses that are faster for the connection used. It is very easy to use, at no cost, does not require installation and allows you to change the DNS identified without having to go through the system settings. Furthermore, its user interface is completely translated into Italian.
To download the software to your computer, visit the DNS Jumper website and click the button Download that you find at the bottom of the page. Once the download is complete, extract theZIP archive obtained, double-click the file .exe present inside and presses the button Yes in response to the warning that appears on the desktop.
Now that you see the DNS Jumper main window, select your PC's network card from the drop-down menu Select network card (above), click on the button Faster DNS (left), then onto that Start DNS test in the further window that opens and waits for a speed test of the various servers to be carried out.
At the end of the operation, you can decide whether to speed up your browsing on the Web by adopting the new DNS (those reported below), by clicking on the button Apply DNS server, whether to stay with the default ones or whether to modify them manually (taking note of what the program reports) by simply closing the window displayed.
If this interests you, I would like to point out that you can also choose the DNS to be applied manually, through the drop-down menu Choose a DNS server at the center (to apply, then click on the button Apply DNS), and that you can access the program settings to customize the server list and operation, by clicking on the button options (lower left).
Change DNS Helper (Windows)
Change DNS Helper is a very simple program to use that allows you to quickly change the DNS servers of the Internet connection, avoiding errors and unnecessary waste of time in the advanced network settings. It is free, works only on Windows operating systems and is also available in a portable version, which does not require installation to work.
To download it to your computer, connect to the program's website and press the button Potable Version attached to the displayed web page. Once the download is complete, extract theZIP archive obtained and start the file .exe present in it corresponding to the version of Windows you are using: ChangeDNSHelper32.exe to Windows a 32 bit or ChangeDNSHelper64.exe to Windows a 64 bit, dopodiché clicca sul pulsating Yes in the window that opens.
Once the software window appears on the desktop, select your network card from the menu Select Network Adapter, choose the Internet protocol of reference (IPv4 or IPv6) from the center menu and select the DNS you want to use from the drop-down menu Select Public DNS Server. Then presses on the button Chang DNS down below.
If, before changing the DNS, you want to make a backup of the current ones, you can do it by selecting the appropriate option from the menu that appears by clicking on the button with the dart down. From the same menu you can also choose to reset the DNS and restore them.
If you are interested in this, I point out that by selecting the tab Network Tools of the program, you can access and use a variety of useful tools to manage and test the functioning of the Internet connection on your PC.
Public DNS Server Tool (Windows)
Similarly to what has been seen with other programs featured in this review, Public DNS Server Tool is a small free tool for Windows, through which you can change the DNS servers used on your PC without going into the Internet connection settings.
To download it on your PC, connected to the program's website, scroll the displayed page and click on the link Download Public DNS Server Tool. When the download is complete, extract theZIP archive obtained in any position of the computer and starts the file .exe contained within it, then click on the button Si in the window that appears on the screen.
Now that you see the main screen of the program, select the network card of your computer from the first drop-down menu, choose the DNS server to use from the list in the center and apply the settings by pressing the button Change bottom right. That's all!
Manual DNS Configuration
Didn't the DNS programs I mentioned earlier satisfy you? Then know that you can too set up DNS servers manually. All you have to do is follow the directions you find below. Let's start with computer operating systems.
- Windows - apri il Control Panel looking for it in Start menu, click on the item in the window that opens Rete and Internet and / or on the wording network and sharing center (Depending on the set display mode), select the connection nameis in use and click the button Property. In the further window that opens, double-click on the entry Internet Protocol versione 4 (TCP / IPv4), check the option Use the following DNS server addresses and set the DNS server values. Then apply the changes by clicking on the button OK.
- MacOS - log in to System Preference clicking on the icon (the one with thegear) attached to the Dock barclick sulla voce Network in the window that opens and then on the button Advanced. Then select the card DNS, presses the [+] button at the bottom left and type the DNS you want to use in the appropriate fields, then press the button OK.
DNS can also be set on smartphones and tablets (only for Wi-Fi connections, unless you use specific apps, such as those indicated in the final step of this guide). Below you will find explained how to proceed on Android e iOS.
- Android - presses the icon of Settings (Quella with l 'gear) in drawer (the screen where there are the icons of all the apps), select the item Wi-Fi and keep pressed for a few seconds on connection name Currently in use. Then choose the item Modify config. say challenge dal menu che compare, spunta l'opzione Show opzioni advance, select the dicitura Static from the menu IP settings and set the DNS servers you want to use in the fields DNS 1 e DNS 2. Then press the button Save.
- iOS - tap on the icon Settings (Quella with l 'gear) on the home screen, select the item Wi-Fi, presses on "I" next to the name of the connection in use and accomplishes the field DNS with the servers you want to use.
For completeness of information, I would like to point out that the DNS can also be changed by acting from the control panel of modem. To do this, access the latter by following the instructions on what to do that I gave you in my guide on how to access the modem, go to the section relating to connection status, locate the items DNS 1 o Primary DNS e DNS 2 o Secondary DNS, fill in the adjacent fields with the DNS servers you want to use and click on the button Apply / OK.
For more information on what is indicated in this step and on the nature of DNS servers in general, refer to my guide on how to configure DNS.
And what about the mobile side? There are app by which you can determine, set up and manage the fastest DNS servers for your connection? The answer is yes. If this interests you, below you will find listed what I believe to be the most interesting solutions in the category, both for Android that for iOS.
- 22.214.171.124: Faster Internet (Android / iOS) - is ColoudFlare's free app that allows you to take advantage of the company's DNS servers by promising a high level of privacy. Note that it installs a VPN profile on the device, which, thanks to encryption, allows you to screen DNS requests sent from your smartphone or tablet and allows you to take advantage of CloudFlare's DNS servers even under a 4G / 3G network.
- DNS Changer (Android) - free app for Android that allows you to change the servers of the Internet connection, both of the Wi-Fi network and of the connection to the cellular network, also allowing you to quickly choose from a list of selected DNS ready to use.
- DNS Ovrride (iOS) - app for iPhone and iPad thanks to which you can choose, set and test different DNS servers for Wi-Fi connection in a practical and fast way. It's free, but offers in-app purchases (starting at € 2,29) to unlock extra features.