After thinking about it for days and days, you have finally decided: you too, like many other users, have chosen to upgrade to Windows 10 your computer. Great idea, I can't tell you more. However, if you are reading this guide right now, it is most likely because there is something that is not clear to you and you would like to know more about the steps to take to complete your "mission". Well, if that's the case, don't worry, I'm here to help you.
To update your PC to Windows 10 you have two different ways at your disposal: the first is to take advantage of Windows Update (the automatic update system included in Windows), the second instead involves the creation of a USB key or a DVD with the files operating system installation (can be used on any computer without having to download the operating system again).
What is the best solution for you? Let's try to find out together. Take some free time and put into practice the instructions you find below. At the end of the procedure you will find yourself with a computer updated to Windows 10 and with all your data in their place, unless you voluntarily decide to format the hard disk, this is obvious. Happy reading and have fun!
How Much Does It Cost to Upgrade to Windows 10?
If you have a genuine copy of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 installed on your computer, you can no longer upgrade to Windows 10 for free, at least not officially. Some users say they have succeeded in the feat, but in reality Microsoft's promotion expired on July 29, 2016, exactly one year after the debut of Windows 10 on the market.
Normally, the price of Windows 10 Home is 145 euros while that of Windows 10 Pro is 259 euros. The purchase of the operating system can be made directly from the official Microsoft store, from physical or online electronics stores, on Amazon or other stores.
Precisely in this regard, I would like to point you out Mr Key Shop: this is an Internet site managed by a company with offices in Italy and England, which sells 100% original licenses for Windows and Microsoft Office at very affordable prices, much lower than the official ones. If you ask yourself, this is possible thanks to the fact that the licenses in question are unused licenses by companies and companies (who may have chosen to switch to the cloud or subscription services) and that Mr Key Shop resells through a practice perfectly legal throughout Europe.
Licenses are shipped within seconds of purchase, directly via email, and also includes instructions to activate the product (excellent thing also in terms of environmental impact, since in this way physical shipments are avoided). Payment is made securely with the various methods supported (eg PayPal or card) and there are both garanzia soddisfatti or rimborsati that l 'free Italian specialized assistance (which very few platforms of this type offer, considering that they are almost always foreign).
That said, to purchase an upgrade license for Windows 10 on Mr Key Shop, linked to this page of the site, click on the button to add the product to the cart and choose to go to cash. From there you can complete the transaction in just a few clicks either as a guest or by registering for an account. If you want to browse other types of licenses for Windows 10, just go to the section Operating systems of the site, by clicking on the appropriate item in the top menu. I also recommend that you take a look at the licenses for Office 2019, sold at equally attractive prices.
Before installing Windows 10, make sure your PC meets all relevant technical requirements and that you have everything you need to upgrade. Here is in detail what you need.
- A PC equipped with at least 2GB of RAM, 20GB of free disk space, a processor of at least 1GHz with support for PAE, NX and SSE2 and a graphics card with support for Microsoft DirectX 9 and WDDM drivers.
- A fast Internet connection, essential for downloading the Windows 10 installation files.
- A genuine copy of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1. Other editions of Windows and all copies of the operating system not legitimately activated cannot take advantage of the direct upgrade to Windows 10 (however, you can always format the disk and install the operating system from scratch).
- A USB stick of at least 8GB or a blank DVD if you want to create media for installing Windows 10 on multiple computers.
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Via Windows Update
If you have a computer running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1, try taking a look at the system notification area. If you notice the presence of a flag of white color (the Windows logo) I have good, indeed excellent news to give you: by pressing on the white flag in question you can request your copy of the new operating system and install it as soon as it becomes available via Windows Update.
To upgrade to Windows 10 by requesting your copy of the operating system, click on the flag that appeared next to the system clock and first press the button Book your free upgrade and then Close.
When your copy of Windows 10 is available you will find it in the Windows Update updates and you can install it like any other operating system update. For more information about it, you can connect to the appropriate web page on the Microsoft website which you can access by clicking here.
What to Do if the Flag Icon Does Not Appear
If you do not see the icon appear in the system tray to be able to update to Windows 10 start Windows Update and download all the updates available for your PC. Among the available updates, those capable of making the flag appear should be those named KB3035583 per Windows 7 SP1 e Windows 8.1, KB2952664 for Windows 7 SP1 e KB2976978 for Windows 8.1. Also make sure that your PC has Internet Explorer version 11 installed (otherwise the flag may appear but not allow you to book the upgrade to Windows 10).
If despite the presence of these updates you still do not display the flag to be able to update to Windows 10, try to put into practice the advice found below (one at a time, not all together).
- Download "manually" and install / reinstall the updates that trigger the flag for the upgrade to Windows 10. You may need to restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
- KB3035583 per Windows 7 SP1 – 64 bit, 32 bit.
- KB3035583 per Windows 8.1 – 64 bit, 32 bit.
- KB2952664 per Windows 7 SP1 – 64 bit, 32 bit.
- KB2976978 per Windows 8.1 – 64 bit, 32 bit.
- Make sure your copy of Windows is genuine. To do this, go to the menu Start, right click on the icon computer and select the item Property from the menu that appears. In the window that opens, check that the copy of the operating system is activated.
- Access the folder C:WindowsSystem32GWX and launch the executables GWX.exe e GWXUX.exe as administrator (these are the launchers to start the Windows 10 reservation that are installed on the PC with the update KB3035583). If you don't know how to start the launchers as administrator, right-click on their icons and select the item Run as administrator give the menu that comes mostrato.
- Download theWindows 10 upgrade utility by connecting to the Microsoft website and clicking on the button Update now. If the button is not available, use this direct link. Once the download is complete, start the executable Windows10Upgrade9252.exe click her cousin Yes and then Accept. Then wait for the software to examine the status of the computer and wait for its response: if there are no problems and you can upgrade to Windows 10, click on the button forward to start the download and then the installation of the operating system on the PC. If, on the other hand, you find any problems that prevent you from upgrading to Windows 10, try to fix them.
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Via Media Creation Tool
If you have purchased a license for Windows 10 or are looking for a solution to install the operating system on multiple PCs, you can contact the Media Creation Tool. It is a small free program from Microsoft through which you can download any version of Windows 10, install it on your PC, copy it to a key or save it as an ISO image and then burn it to DVD.
To download the Media Creation Tool, connect to the Microsoft website using a Windows PC and click on the button Download the tool now which is at the bottom left. If you visit the Microsoft website using an operating system other than Windows, instead of the Media Creation Tool software you will be directly offered the Windows 10 ISO image in 32 or 64 bit version.
Once the download is complete, start the executable MediaCreationTool.exe and choose whether to upgrade your computer to Windows 10 or create a special installation media. In the first case, all the files necessary for installing the operating system will be downloaded from the Internet and the upgrade procedure to Windows 10 will start automatically (only available on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1). If, on the other hand, you choose to create installation media for another PC, you can create a USB key with the Windows 10 installation files or download the ISO image of the operating system to burn to DVD.
Update Your PC to Windows 10
If you want to upgrade the computer you are using, once the Media Creation Tool window is open click on the button Accept, choose to upgrade your PC now and click on the button forward located at the bottom right. Therefore, wait for all the components necessary to install the operating system to be downloaded and follow the appropriate wizard that is shown on the screen.
At the end of the download you must accept the conditions of use of Windows 10 by pressing the appropriate button, then you must wait for the presence of updates for the operating system to be checked and you must click on forward e Install to proceed with the installation of Windows 10 on the PC. Whenever possible, the upgrade is done while keeping all files, apps and settings on your computer. If you want, however, you can click on the item Change items to keep and choose whether to install Windows keeping personal files only (to delete programs and settings without deleting data) or if don't keep anything and install Windows 10 by deleting everything.
Create Windows 10 Installation Media
If, on the other hand, you prefer to update another computer of yours to Windows 10 or you prefer to do it on your PC, however, creating a USB key or a DVD to install the operating system, select the option to create installation media for a new PC, pigia sul pulsating forward, choose which version of Windows 10 to download, the language of the OS and the architecture of the same using the appropriate drop-down menus. By default, the version of Windows 10 that is best suited to your computer is chosen, but by removing the check mark from the item Use the recommended options for this PC you can choose any editions of the operating system.
At this point, click on forward and choose whether to create one USB flash drive (i.e. a USB key) for installing Windows 10 or a file ISO to be then transferred to a DVD. Then click the button again forward and indicates the destination device or folder in which to save the Windows 10 installation files, in order to start the download.
Once the download procedure is complete, Media Creation Tool will automatically copy the Windows 10 files to the key you indicated or to the ISO file you have decided to save on your PC.
Keep in mind that if you have chosen to upgrade to Windows 10 via USB stick, the latter must have a capacity of at least 8 GB. In case you have chosen to upgrade to Windows 10 via ISO file I suggest you instead read my guide on how to burn ISO files to find out how to create an operating system installation DVD.
Next, restart your computer without ejecting the created USB stick or DVD and follow the Windows 10 installation procedure. If the computer to upgrade to Windows 10 is different from the one you are currently using, eject the stick or DVD with the files installation of the operating system and connect the media to the PC on which you intend to install Windows 10.
Proceeding in this way should automatically start the procedure to install Windows 10 from USB or DVD. In the event that the procedure does not start automatically and the copy of Windows already installed on the PC starts normally, enter the BIOS / UEFI and change the boot order by setting the USB port or DVD support as the first device following the instructions in my guide on how to set the BIOS.
How to Install Windows 10
At this point, regardless of whether you have chosen to act directly via Media Creation Tool, via USB key or via DVD, wait for the procedure to update to Windows 10 to start, then choose the language and keyboard layout and then press on the buttons forward e Install.
Now enter the product key of your copy of Windows 10 or click Ignore to enter the code only at the end of the setup, accept the conditions of use of the software and choose whether to perform a updating of the copy of Windows already on your computer or whether tocustom installation. In the latter case you can completely format the computer disk and thus get a so-called clean installation. The computer, after a short first phase of installing Windows 10, will restart and the initial configuration procedure of the operating system will start.
During the initial configuration procedure you can adjust various Windows 10 settings in a very detailed way, but if you want to speed up the whole procedure press the button Use quick settings. This way the default settings will be used and you won't have to waste time setting up the operating system, you just have to associate your Microsoft account with Windows (in order to synchronize data and settings with the cloud).
Once you have completed the procedure to upgrade to Windows 10, if you have not already done so, do not forget to associate the product key in your possession with the copy of the OS. To do this, press the search field located at the bottom left of the desktop, type settings and click on the first result displayed.
In the new window that appears, click Update and security, presses on the voice Activation attached to the left side menu and select the option on the right to provide your product key and to activate your copy of Windows 10. When the procedure is completed you will see the item Windows is activated at the field Activation.
ATTENTION: by installing Windows 10 from a USB stick or DVD you will not be able to take advantage of the free upgrade from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x. If you intend to take advantage of the free upgrade you must resort to direct installation of the operating system from the Media Creation Tool or Windows Update.
- After upgrading to Windows 10, you have 30 days to retrace your steps and restore Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x. By going to the menu PC settingsby clicking on the icon Update and security and selecting the item Restoration from the left sidebar you can in fact go back to Windows 7 o go back to Windows 8 clicking on a convenient button. All data will be preserved. More info here.
- If you make the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 you don't need to enter any product key, the system will be activated via a hardware fingerprint that Microsoft will register on its servers. This means that after updating to Windows 10 you will be able to reinstall the operating system on the PC (even with a clean installation) and it will activate automatically.
Article created in collaboration with Mr Key Shop.