You have just bought a new computer, would you like to transfer the mail you had in Outlook on the old PC to it but you don't know how to do it? Don't worry, I have the solution that's right for you and I assure you it's much simpler than you think!
Using the data export function included in Outlook you can copy your messages from one computer to another, or even from one email client to another, in an extremely easy and fast way. Unfortunately, importing messages into software other than Outlook requires the use of external solutions, which are not always free, but we will talk about this in the second part of the tutorial.
If you want to know all the details, do not hesitate: take five minutes of free time and put into practice the directions on how to export mail from Outlook that you find below. I made the tutorial using Outlook 2016 for Windows and macOS, but the indications in it should also be fine for the older editions of the suite (from 2007 onwards). So, are you ready to put them into practice? Find all the instructions you need right below.
Export Messages from Outlook
If you want to learn how to export mail from Outlook, you have to start the program and click on the yellow button Fillet which is at the top left. At this point, select the item apri (o Open and export) from the left sidebar and, in the screen that opens, click on the button Import (o Import / export) to start the Outlook Data Import / Export Wizard.
Nella finestra che si apre, select the voice Export to a file from the list that is proposed to you and click on the button forward. Then select the format Outlook Data File (.pst) among the formats available for export and click once again on forward. At this point, select the mail folder you want to export (eg. [email protected]), put the check mark next to the item Include subfolders click her cousin forward and then end to start exporting emails from Outlook.
The duration of the procedure depends on the number of messages to be saved and the power of your PC. Also, if you want, you can set one password to protect the exported messages by filling in the appropriate fields displayed at the beginning of the process.
By default, the email archive file (backup.pst) is saved in the folder Documents Outlook files, but you can choose a custom destination path by clicking the button Shop by Department.
If you use a Poppy, you can export the emails in Outlook by calling the function Export from the menu Fillet or by dragging a folder from the program's sidebar to the desktop (in this case, however, the messages are saved in mbox and not PST).
Import the Messages into Outlook
When you are done with export mail from Outlook, you can use the resulting .pst file to easily import your email messages to another computer. All you have to do is start Outlook, click on the yellow button Fillet, select the item apri (o Open and export) from the left sidebar and click on the button Import (o Import / export).
Nella finestra che si apre, select the voice Import data from other programs or files and click on the button forward. Then select the format Outlook Data File (.pst), click the button forward and open the pst file created earlier using the button Shop by Department. Then click on forward e end and wait for the message import procedure to finish. Again, the duration of the procedure depends on the number of emails to upload and the power of your PC.
If you use a Poppy, you can import previously exported messages from Outlook by calling the function Import from the menu Fillet or by pressing the button Import present in the card Means of the program.
Import Outlook Messages into Other Email Clients
Do you want to import Outlook messages into another email client? In this case you have to resort to different solutions based on the software you intend to use.
For example, if you want to import emails into Mozilla Thunderbird, you can take advantage of the import functions included in the program or you can use external solutions to convert Outlook PST files to mbox "Digested" compatible with Thunderbird.
To take advantage of the import features included in Thunderbird, Outlook must be installed on your PC and must be 32-bit. If these two requirements are met, you can start importing messages from Outlook by opening Thunderbird, pressing the button ≡ located at the top right and selecting the items Tools> Import from the menu that opens. Next, you need to put the check mark next to the item Mail, you have to go forward and you have to choose Outlook as a program from which to import emails.
If you are using a 64-bit version of Outlook or cannot install the program on your PC, as mentioned above you need to resort to external software to convert Outlook PST files to Thunderbird compatible mbox files. I recommend Emailchemy which is compatible with all operating systems (Windows, macOS and Linux) and is very easy to use. The only problem is that it is paid, it costs around 30 euros. You can test its potential thanks to a free demo, but all emails imported into Thunderbird will have as sender and subject “Please Purchase Emailchemy” e “Weird Kid Software” (i.e. the name of the company that produces the program). If you are interested, here are all the steps you need to take.
- Connect to the Emailchemy website and download the program on your PC by clicking on the link Zipped Installer [.zip] located next to the item Windows (32 bit) or next to the item Windows (64 bit), depending on the version of the operating system installed on your PC;
- Install Emailchemy by opening its installation package and always clicking on Next;
- Start Emailchemy and click on the buttons Yes, I accept the terms of the license, Demo (assuming you are using the demo version of the software) e Close;
- Select the item Outlook for Windows (PST or OST) give menu to tendin What kind of email do you want to convert?;
- Click on Next and select il file PST previously exported from Outlook;
- Click on the button KATEGORIEN, select the folder to export the files converted with Emailchemy and first press on Next and then Convert;
- Nella finestra che si apre, select the voice MBOX file give menu to tendin File type and click on Save to start converting emails;
- Once the conversion is complete, install the ImportExportTools NG add-on in Mozilla Thunderbird. If you don't know how to do it, download the add-on from the Mozilla Addons website, go to the menu ≡> Add-ons Thunderbird and select the item Install add-on from file from the menu with thegear;
- When done, restart Thunderbird, create one new local folder by right clicking on the item Local folders located in the sidebar and go to the menu ≡> Instruments> ImportExportTools NG> Import mbox file di Thunderbird;
- In the window that opens, put the check mark next to the item Directly import one or more files in mbox formatclick your OK and select the MBOX files obtained with Emailchemy. The messages will be imported into sub-folders of the local folder you created in Thunderbird.
It was used Apple Mail, you can import MBOX files with Outlook emails simply by starting the application and selecting the item Import boxes from the menu Fillet which is located at the top left.
How to Export Mail from Outlook.com
If you have an email account on Outlook.com and you want to export the messages of the latter to Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail or any other e-mail client, all you have to do is configure a new account in the program and fill in the form that is proposed to you using the following data.
- Name: the name you want to use as the header of your emails
- Email address: your @ outlook.com email address
- Password Confirm Password: the password of your email address in Outlook
- IMAP server name: imap-mail.outlook.com
- IMAP port: 993
- IMAP encryption method: SSL
- Nome server SMTP: smtp-mail.outlook.com
- Porta SMTP: 587
- SMTP encryption method: TLS
If you want to export Outlook.com messages to Gmail, in order to synchronize the two Web Mail services, follow the instructions contained in my tutorial on how to synchronize Outlook with Gmail.