Would you like to copy the contacts you have saved on your Android smartphone to your computer's address book? Have you purchased a secondary mobile phone, to be used for work, and would you like to synchronize the address book of the latter with that of your main smartphone? No problem, I am happy to announce that you have come to the right place at the right time,
Take five minutes of free time and find out how to export android phonebook on any device and operating system thanks to the indications I am about to give you. There are at least two paths you can follow: you can export all the contacts in your address book locally, in the form of VCF files, and import them on the device of your choice. Or you can synchronize the Android address book with Gmail and connect your Google account to all the devices on which you want to import contacts.
In any case, it is child's play. It is up to you to choose the solution that best suits your needs and put it into practice. Think, you can also copy your favorite contacts to a SIM and transfer them to another phone simply by inserting the card in the latter, but we will deal with this procedure in the final part of the guide. Now let's focus on the most common ways of exporting the address book, those via VCF file and via the cloud, and let's get to work immediately!
Export Android Phonebook to VCF File
If you want to export the Android address book to another smartphone, tablet or computer, I recommend that you create a VCF file with all your contacts.
VCF files are “universal” files that can be imported into any application or device to copy names, emails, telephone numbers, addresses and other information contained in the address book to it. In a nutshell you can use them to transfer all your contacts from Android to any smartphone, tablet or computer regardless of the operating system or email client used on it.
To copy the Android phonebook to a VCF file you can use the application Contacts included “standard” in all smartphones and tablets equipped with the green robot system. Here are in detail all the steps you need to take.
- Launch the application Contacts;
- Press on the button (...) collocato in alto a destra and seleziona la voce Import / Export from the menu that opens. If you are using a Samsung smartphone you may have to follow a slightly different procedure: after opening the application Contacts you may have to press the button [...] I will select the voice Settings from the menu that opens. Then you should then move to Contacts and choose the option Import / Export from the menu that opens;
- At this point, choose whether to save the VCF file with contacts on the phone's internal memory (by selecting the item Export to archive) or its one SD card (if your smartphone has expandable memory);
- Wait a few seconds for the export of the VCF file to be completed (you can follow the progress of the operation from the Android notification menu).
Now you need to export the VCF file generated by the Android Contacts app on the target device, i.e. on the device on which you intend to import the address book. You basically have two ways to do this.
- Connect the smartphone to the computer - and copy the file 00001.vcf from your phone's root directory (or microSD) to your computer.
- Auto-send the VCF file to you via email or through a cloud storage service - to do this you can use a file manager such as ES File Manager, which allows you to easily manage all the files on the internal memory of Android devices and on the memory cards inserted in them. After starting ES File Manager, press the ad icon hamburger located at the top left and select the folder where the address book file is located (home if you have saved it on the internal memory of the smartphone or sd if you saved it on an external card). At this point, keep your finger pressed on the file 00001.vcf , pigia sul pulsating Other that appears at the bottom right and selects the item Share from the menu that appears. Then choose whether to share the file via email, selecting the name of an email client (eg. gmail) from the menu that opens, or through a cloud storage service, by selecting the icon dropbox, Google Drive or similar from the same menu.
When the operation is complete, you can download the VCF file on the device on which you want to import the Android address book and copy all your contacts without the slightest effort. In my guide on how to open VCF files you will find explained how to import VCF files in Windows, OS X, Android, iOS and some famous Web-Mail services.
Please note: in my examples I used the name 00001.vcf for the address book file, but its name may actually be different. The important thing is the extension, VCF, which is the same on all devices and all versions of Android.
Export Android Address Book Via Gmail
If in addition to export Android phonebook you want to keep it synchronized with other devices, so that all changes made on one device are automatically reflected on the others, take advantage of Gmail.
By connecting your smartphone to a Gmail account you can automatically synchronize all Android contacts with the cloud (therefore on the Internet) and copy them to any device simply by associating the latter with the same Google account.
To associate your Android smartphone with a Google account (which, however, you have most likely already done) you have to go to the menu Settings> Accounts of the device. Then you have to press the button Add account and select the logo of Google from the screen that opens.
When the operation is complete, you need to go to the menu Settings> Accounts> Google of Android, select your address gmail and you need to check that the lever located next to the item Contacts is active. If it is not active, move it with your finger to the right and that's it.
Your phone's address book will be automatically saved on Google's servers, so by connecting other smartphones, tablets or other computers to your account, they will automatically synchronize the contacts with Gmail. To find out more, see my tutorials on how to read Gmail mail, how to synchronize Gmail contacts, how to configure Outlook with Gmail and how to configure Gmail on iPhone where I explained how to synchronize Gmail mail and address book with various devices and applications. .
By synchronizing your contacts with Google you will also have the possibility to export a VCF file with the address book directly from Gmail, without going through the smartphone. How? I'll explain it to you right away. Connect to the Google Contacts service and select the items More> Export from the side bar of the sinistra.
You will be shown a box containing all the options for exporting the address book. Then put the check mark next to the items Contacts e vCard (for iOS contacts)click on your button Export And that's it. If you want, you can also export contacts in CSV format to import them into Outlook or other applications, just put the check mark next to the appropriate option.
Export Android Phonebook to SIM
Do you want to export some contacts to a SIM card? No problem. On some smartphone models this operation can be performed directly from the application Contacts, just follow the steps we saw together earlier. In other cases, you need to turn to third-party applications, such as the excellent Copy to SIM Card that can be downloaded for free from the Google Play Store.
To copy contacts from an Android smartphone to a SIM with Copy to SIM Card, open the application and select the card Phone contacts. Then put the check mark next to the numbers you want to copy to the SIM (remember that the 128k SIMs have a limit of 500 numbers) and first press the button (...) which is located at the top right and then on the item Copy selected to SIM.
If the card Phone contacts is empty (and therefore there are no contacts to select), press the button (...) collocato in alto a destra and seleziona la voce Settings from the menu that appears. Then put the check mark next to all the options you see under the heading Choose contacts to display e pigia his OK. This way you should easily fix the problem and you should be able to see all your contacts within the app.