Open Office is a free and open source productivity suite compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux. It stands as the main free alternative to Microsoft Office (together with LibreOffice, another open source suite born from one of its "ribs") and is almost 100% compatible with files created with the latter.
Includes software for word processing (called Writer), processing spreadsheets (Calc), creating presentations (Impress), creating databases (Base) and creating printable documents (Draw): all extremely simple to be used and translated into Italian, including spell check.
With today's guide, we'll see then how to download Open Office for free and how to install it on all major operating systems. It is quick and intuitive operation that requires no technical knowledge from the user: try it and you'll know. All you need is an Internet connection modestly fast and a couple of minutes to devote to software installation. So, are you ready to go?
Requirements to Download Open Office
Before getting to the heart of the matter and explaining to you what are the operations that need to be done in order to download Open Office on your computer, it seems right to tell you what are the minimum requirements that your PC must have in order to proceed with the installation of the famous suite. Find them listed below.
Minimum requirements for Windows
- Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2 or superior), Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- 256 Mbytes RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)
- At least 650 Mbytes of free disk space for a normal installation (including JRE) via download. After installation and removal of the temporary installation files, OpenOffice.org will occupy approximately 440 Mbytes.
- Resolution 1024 x 768 dots or higher with at least 256 colors
Minimum requirements for Mac
- Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) the top
- Intel processor
- 512 Mbytes RAM
- 400 Mbytes of free disk space
- 1024 x 768 dot or higher resolution with at least 16M colors
Minimum requirements for Linux
- Linux kernel 2.4 or higher, glibc2 version 2.3.2 or higher
- 256 Mbytes RAM (512 MB recommended)
- 400 Mbytes of free disk space
- X server with resolution 1024 x 768 dots or higher with at least 256 colors
Scaricare Open Office for Free
We now come to the real core of the matter and try to understand how to proceed to be able to download Open Office for free on Windows, macOS and Ubuntu. For more details, keep reading, you will find explained below.
If you want to download Open Office on your PC with su installed Windows, the first step you need to take is to connect to the program's website and click on the button Download full version (recommended). Keep in mind that the software weighs around 130 Mbytes, so it may take a few minutes for the process to finish.
A download completo, apri il file Apache_OpenOffice_x.x.x_Win_x86_install_it.exe and, in the window you see appear on the screen, click on first Yes and then forward and Install.
Therefore, wait for all the files necessary for the installation of Open Office to be extracted on the Windows desktop and complete the program installation process by first clicking on forward three times in a row and then on Install and end.
At this point, you just have to start Open Office through its icon on the desktop or by clicking on the relative link that has been added to the Start menu, skip the welcome screen by clicking on forward and fill in the form with your personal data (optional, only if you want your name to be included in the metadata of the documents you will create). Finally, press on end.
Then you will find yourself in front of the main Open Office window from which you can access all the various programs that make up the package, by clicking on the relative link. If you don't know what they are, you will find them indicated (and explained) below.
- Writer - This is the application dedicated to word processing, practically the alternative to Microsoft Office Word. Thanks to it it is possible to open, edit and create DOC / DOCX, RTF and ODF documents.
- Calc - It is the application for spreadsheets, i.e. the Microsoft Office alternative to Excel. It supports all the file formats of the Redmond home software as well as the open document ones (ODS and OTS).
- Impress - Similar to Microsoft PowerPoint, is the application that makes it possible to create presentations. It supports all Office file formats.
- Base - It is the application used for database management.
- Draw - This is an application thanks to which it is possible to create printable content (eg flyers, brochures, cards, etc.). It is essentially Microsoft's Publisher alternative.
- Math - It is the Open Office component for mathematical equations.
When finished, the folder with the suite installation files ( OpenOffice x.x.x (it) Installation Files)) on the desktop can be deleted without any problem. Rather, it should do it as soon as possible because it takes up much hard disk space!
The procedure to download Open Office for free on Poppy it is as simple as the one we have just seen for Windows systems, but unfortunately the pace at which the program versions are released is a little slower. This means that you may be forced to use an older version of the suite than the one available for Microsoft (or Linux) operating systems.
To download Open Office on your Mac connected to the program's website and click ' Download full version (recommended). Even in the case of the version of Open Office for macOS, please note that it may take a while for the download to be completed considering that the software has a weight of just under 160 Mbytes.
Once the download is complete, open the package .dmg appena ottenuto e trascina l'icona di open Office on the folder Applications through the window that appeared on the desk. Then start the suite by accessing the Launcher and then clicking on its icon.
Once the Open Office welcome screen is displayed, press the button forward, fill in the form with your personal data (optional, only if you want your name to be included in the metadata of the documents you will create) and click on end.
Then you will find yourself in front of the main Open Office screen from which you can choose which application part of the package to start by simply clicking on the relative link. The applications available are the same ones included in the program version for Windows operating systems.
Afterwards, remember to remove the Open Office installation package from your Mac by dragging it onto the Trash can you find on the Dock bar or by right clicking on it and selecting Eject "OpenOffice" from the context menu you see appear.
On Linux (Ubuntu)
Ubuntu includes "standard" LibreOffice, another suite for free productivity that, as I said at the beginning of the article, was born from a "rib" of Open Office. If you want, you can make the two software coexist or replace LibreOffice with Open Office, just give some commands from the terminal.
- If you want to install Open Office in addition to LibreOffice, open the Terminal and issue the command sudo rm / usr / bin / soffice to remove the symbolic link “/ usr / bin / soffice” which could cause conflicts between the two suites.
- If you want to install Open Office instead of LibreOffice, open Terminal and run the command sudo apt-get purge libreoffice *.
At this point, connected to the Open Office website, make sure that the language is selected in the central drop-down menu italian (and if not, select it yourself) and click on the button Download full installation to download the software to your computer.
Once the download is complete, open the package that contains Open Office (eg. Apache_OpenOffice_x.x.x_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_it.tar.gz) and extract the contents into the folder Home. Then open the Terminal and give the following commands.
- cd $HOME/it/DEBS.
- sudo dpkg -i * .deb
- cd $HOME/it/DEBS/desktop-integration
- sudo dpkg -i *.deb.
If you see any error messages, such as Processing errors occurred: [package] .deb, write down the name of the .deb package causing the problem (eg. openofficex.x-debian-menus_x.xx-xxxx_all.deb) and force its installation by typing the following command in the terminal.
- sudo dpkg -i --force-all package.deb
When the operation is complete, access the Ubuntu search menu, search open Office and you should find all the applications of the suite ready to use, they are practically the same that I indicated in the step dedicated to the version of the suite for Windows operating systems.
For further information, please consult the official Ubuntu Italy Wiki from which I took part of the information in this tutorial.
Alternative Ad Open Office
Have you tried Open Office for a few days, its operation has not completely satisfied you and you would like to know if there is any free alternative to the office suite in question? Well, under the circumstances, I can't help but invite you to try now LibreOffice, which I mentioned at the beginning of the article and in the step dedicated to Ubuntu.
This is another "free" suite that shares part of the Open Office source code. It is also compatible with Windows, macOS and Linux and allows you to do everything you can do with Open Office: process texts, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics and drawings, databases and mathematical formulas. In addition, it is compatible with files produced by Microsoft Office.
For further information on how it works and to find out how to download it to your computer, I invite you to refer to my tutorial specifically dedicated to how to download LibreOffice.
Alternative Per Smartphone and Tablet
Open Office is available for all major computer operating systems but unfortunately for what concerns the mobile side it is not. However, this does not mean having to give up an open source productivity suite on smartphones and tablets. You must in fact know that it is for Android that for iOS there are very valid alternatives at no cost (at least in their basic variant) that will absolutely not make you regret the lack of Open Office.
If this interests you, below you will find a list of what I believe to be the best applications currently available on the market belonging to the category in question.
- WPS Office (Android / iOS) - This is a cost-effective productivity suite that offers the possibility, on both Android and iOS, to view Word documents, PowerPoint presentations, Excel sheets and PDF files almost always respecting their formatting original. It is optionally available in a paid variant that removes advertisements and allows you to sign PDFs.
- Polaris Office (Android / iOS) - Excellent productivity suite available for both Android and iOS thanks to which you can view, edit and create simple text documents, Word documents, presentations and spreadsheets. It also includes convenient preset templates. Basically it's free but through in-app purchases you can unlock additional functions.
- AndrOpenOffice (Android) - It is essentially a port of Open Office for Android devices. In fact, the application has the same interface and the same functions as Open Office for computers. You can download and use it for free but by purchasing the Professional Pack (€ 4,49) you can remove the advertising banners from the application and add support for other file formats.