Wandering around the internet, have you come across a program that allows you to play remotely on your PS4 by connecting the console controller to your PC and would like to know more? Don't worry, this is not a scam. Indeed, it is a service offered by Sony! Is called PS4 Remote Play and allows, in fact, to control the PlayStation 4 remotely (ie via the Internet) by connecting its controller to any Windows PC or Mac. To use it, you just need a good Internet connection, a recent computer and a PlayStation Network account.
And if you are at home and you simply want to play the PS4 using your PC monitor (because maybe the TV is occupied by other people), you don't even have to waste time installing software: you can connect the PS4 directly to the computer monitor and play in all tranquility through the latter. So, what do you think? Would you like to deepen the subject and find out more in detail how to connect PS4 to PC? If your answer is yes, keep reading, find all the information you need right below.
Please note: for the tutorial I used a PS4 Fat equipped with version 5.x. In any case, the indications given in the post should also be valid for the other PlayStation 4 models, for example PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro, and for all versions of the PlayStation firmware. Having made this necessary premise, let's take action!
Connect PS4 to PC Via Remote Play
If you want connect the PS4 to the PC to play your favorite titles even remotely, all you have to do is take a few minutes of free time and find out how to make the most of the Remote Play service offered by Sony. I assure you that this is really a breeze. In any case, you will find everything explained below.
To take advantage of the PS4's Remote Play feature, you must have one PlayStation 4 updated with the latest firmware version, a very fast internet connection (at least 15 Mbps download and upload are recommended), a controller PS4 (with its USB cable) and a PC Windows or Poppy with the following technical characteristics.
- PC Windows - operating system: Windows 8.x / 10; 5 GHz or faster Intel Core i560-2.67M processor; at least 100MB of available memory; at least 2GB of RAM; display with at least 1024 × 768 pixel resolution; sound card and USB port.
- Poppy - operating system: macOS 10.10 Yosemite or later; 5 GHz or faster Intel Core i520-2.40M processor; at least 40MB of available memory; at least 2GB of RAM; sound card and USB port.
Configure the PS4
To take advantage of PS4 Remote Play, you need to configure the console properly. To be more precise, you must set the PS4 as the main system on your PlayStation Network account, you must activate the Remote Play function in the latter and, if you want to be able to "wake up" the console from rest mode by acting remotely, you must activate the relevant option in the energy saving menu. Here are in detail all the steps you need to take.
- To set PS4 as main system on PSN account, go to the menu Settings console (the toolbox icon located at the top right) and select the item Account management from the latter. So go on Activate as your primary PS4 and, if necessary, on the next screen select the option Attiva. If you don't have an account yet PlayStation Network and so you can't set your PS4 as the main system, find out how to create one by following my tutorial on how to access PlayStation Network.
- To activate the Remote Play function, go to the menu Settings console (the toolbox icon located at the top right) and select the item Account management from the latter. So go on Remote Play connection settings and, if necessary, on the next screen put the check mark next to the option Enable Remote Play.
- To “wake up” the PS4 remotely, go to the menu Settings console (the toolbox icon located at the top right) and select the item Energy saving settings from the latter. So go on Sets the functions available in sleep mode and, if necessary, on the next screen put the check mark next to the options Stay connected to the internet e Enable power on of PS4 from network.
Of course, you also need to check that the PS4 is properly connected to the internet. To do this, go to the menu Settings> Network and select the option for check the Internet connection. If the connection is not active, configure it by selecting the item Configure Internet Connection and choosing whether to establish a connection Wi-Fi or with network cable (LAN).
Download and Install the PS4 Remote Play Software
If you meet all the requirements necessary for the execution of the PS4 Remote Play software, you can take action. The first step you must take, therefore, is to download the program on your computer by connecting to its official website and clicking on the button PC Windows or on the button Poppy (depending on the operating system you use).
To download completed, a PC Windows, start the file RemotePlayInstaller.exe e, nella finestra che si apre, fai clic prima sul pulsado Yes and then OK e forward. Then put the check mark next to the item I accept the terms contained in the License Agreement and finish the setup by clicking on the button first forward twice in a row and then on Install e Ends.
If you use a Poppyinstead, it starts the file RemotePlayInstaller.pkg that you have downloaded to your computer and, in the window that opens, first click on the button forward twice in a row and then on Accept, Continue e Install. Then type the password of your user account on macOS (the one you use to access the system) and complete the setup by clicking on Install software and then Close e Move.
How to Use PS4 Remote Play
You are now ready to take advantage of the PS4 Remote Play feature. Then start the Remote Play software you just installed on your PC or Mac and connect the PS4 controller at the PC. To establish the connection, you can use the USB cable supplied with the PlayStation wireless controller or adapter (for more information on this, you can read my tutorial on how to connect the PS4 joystick to your PC).