Do you have to play a DVD on your computer but you don't know which player to trust to do it? Are you looking for software that allows you to burn your DVDs but, being a beginner with operations of this type, you don't know which resources to use? Would you like to transfer the contents of your diskettes to your PC but you don't have the slightest idea which tool to use? Don't worry: if you want, I can help you face all these needs, with this tutorial focused on the subject.
In the following lines, in fact, you will find those that, in my humble opinion, represent the best DVD programs present on the square, both for Windows and for macOS and Linux. In most cases, these are totally free resources and for the use of which it is absolutely not necessary to be a great expert in IT and new technologies. You just have to choose the solution that you think will do the most for you, download it, follow the relative instructions and that's it.
Then? May I know what are you still standing there? Make yourself comfortable, take a few minutes of free time just for you and immediately start concentrating on reading what is reported below. I am sure that, in the end, you will be able to tell yourself very happy and satisfied with what you have learned and that, even, if necessary, you will be ready to provide useful tips about it to your friends. Let it bet?
DVD Video Programs
Looking for gods DVD video programs, or solutions to play your diskettes on your computer? Then try those listed in the steps below: you will see that they will satisfy you.
Windows DVD Player and Windows Media Player
If you have a PC with su installed Windows 10, among the best DVD programs to which you can appeal for the reproduction of the contents, the Windows DVD player. It is a paid application developed by Microsoft that costs 14,99 euros and is specifically designed to read DVDs on the latest operating system of the Redmond giant (which does not have a default DVD player). However, you can download a free trial version that works for 7 days, which, however, does not allow the playback of the videos, but only serves to evaluate the compatibility of the software with the PC in use.
To download the free trial of the Windows DVD Player, connected to the relevant section of the Microsoft Store Online, click on the button Buy and, in the further window that opens, click on the button Test. Once the setup procedure is complete, insert the disk to be played in the player connected to the computer, click on the notification CD Drive (X 🙂 [Title] Select to choose the operation for DVD movies that you see appear in the lower right part of the screen and, from the panel that opens, click on the item Play DVD - DVD player.
Wait, therefore, for the compatibility check to be started and completed. If the result is positive, you can make the purchase of the program without problems, following the proposed wizard. Once the purchase is complete, you can "normally" start playing your discs, managing it using the appropriate commands located at the bottom of the program screen.
Instead, if you are using Windows 7 or an earlier version of the Microsoft operating system, you can contact Windows Media Player, the default multimedia player of the Microsoft operating system, which among its many functions also offers the one for playing DVD video.
Windows Media Player starts automatically when a disc is inserted into the player connected to the PC. If this does not happen, you can do it "manually" by selecting the relevant collegamento from Start menu and then double clicking on the name of the DVD present nella sezione Multimedia catalog of the program. If Windows Media Player is not installed on your PC, you can find out how to deal with it by reading my tutorial on how to download Windows Media Player.
DVD Player on MacOS
If you are using MacOS, I inform you that, to play DVDs, you can contact DVD player, an application developed directly by Apple for its users, included for free in all versions of the macOS operating system.
To be able to use it, all you have to do is insert the disc you want to play into the CD / DVD player connected to your Mac and wait a few moments for the DVD Player to start automatically. If this does not happen, you can start the player "manually" by clicking on its icon (Quella with il DVD player, in fact) that you find in the path Applications> Utilities from the Mac.
Once the disc has started playing, you can manage it using the commands available in the bottom bar of DVD Player, visible after a few seconds of mouse inactivity. If you need to exit the full screen view, press the key e located on the keyboard.
Other Programs for Watching DVDs
Didn't the programs for watching DVDs that I have already suggested you use particularly convinced you or are you looking for alternatives? Then please contact the additional resources ad hoc that you find in the following bulleted list.
- VLC (Windows / macOS / Linux) - renowned and appreciated media player for Windows, macOS and Linux. It is completely free and open source in nature. It seamlessly supports all major video file formats without having to turn to external codecs and, of course, also allows you to play DVDs.
- mpv (Windows / macOS / Linux) - free, cross-platform and open source program that allows you to easily reproduce movies on your computer and DVDs, using a decidedly minimal user interface. Thanks to the support for decoding via GPU and its internal optimizations, it allows you to view in an extremely fluid way even those contents that may present problems with other players.
- PotPlayer (Windows) - free software only for Windows operating systems thanks to which it is possible to play movies and DVDs. It also offers numerous advanced features that allow you to edit video and audio in real time.
For more details about the resources I have reported to you earlier, you can refer to my tutorial dedicated specifically to programs to read DVDs.
Programs to Burn DVDs
If you are looking for programs to burn DVDs, the tools that in my opinion you would do well to turn to are the ones I have listed below.
Burn Windows Disc
If you own a PC Windows and you need to burn a DVD with various types of data, you can make use of the function Burn disc integrated into the operating system, without having to resort to the use of third-party tools.
To use it, first insert a blank DVD in the player connected to your computer, wait for the notification to appear in the lower right part of the screen (which asks you what kind of operation you want to carry out) and select the option Burn files to disc.
In the window that is now shown on the desktop, it indicates the disc burning mode: you can select, depending on what your actual needs are, the option Like a USB flash drive (which allows you to burn the data to the disc and edit or delete it in the future, but creates discs only compatible with Windows PCs) or that With a CD / DVD player (which allows you to create a disc compatible with most optical drives on the market, but once the files are written they cannot be modified or deleted at a later time).
Next, click the button forward located at the bottom right, drag the files to burn into the File Explorer displayed and press the button Write to disk present at the top left. Finally, enter the title you want to assign to the disc in the appropriate field, choose a writing speed from the relevant drop-down menu and click the button forward, to start burning.
Finder Di MacOS
Even if you are using MacOS, you can burn your DVDs without having to resort to using third party tools. In fact, you can take advantage of the Finder, the default file manager of the Mac, taking advantage of the specific functionality already included in the system.
To use it, to begin with, insert an empty disk into the burner connected to the Mac, then wait for the window to appear on the desktop to choose which operation to perform, select the item Open in Finder give menu to tendin Action and click sul pulsating OK.
If no window appears on the desktop, proceed as follows: click on theFinder icon (Quella with the smiley face) present sulla Dock bar and selects the icon of diskette from the side bar of the sinistra.
At this point, drag the files you want to write to the DVD in the window that appears, click the button Burn located at the top right and, in the further window that is shown to you, enter the name you want to assign to the disc in the dedicated field, then indicate the burning speed and start the procedure by pressing the button Burn.
DVD Authoring Programs
If, on the other hand, you are interested in finding gods DVD authoring programs, I suggest you turn to the resources you find in the list below.
- DVDStyler (Windows/macOS/Linux) - cross-platform DVD authoring software that allows you to build DVD menus starting from fully customizable templates. It is completely free and is open source.
- DVDFab DVD Creator (Windows/macOS) - cross-platform, feature-rich, yet easy to use program that lets you create DVDs with customized content and menus. It also allows you to burn. It is paid (costs $ 42,90), but you can download it as a free trial version that works for 30 days.
- ConvertXtoDVD (Windows) - as easily understood by the name itself, it is a software that allows you to convert videos to DVD and create customized menus, as well as to perform burning operations. It is for Windows only and is paid (costs $ 44,99), but you can download a free trial that works for 7 days.
For more details regarding the above software, you can refer to my article on how to build an interactive DVD.
DVD Photo Programs with Music
Look for programs that allow you to make gods DVD with photos and music to distribute among friends, relatives and colleagues? Then try now the ones I have indicated to you in the list below.
- PhotoStage Slideshow Producer (Windows/macOS) - software that allows you to create movies with photos and music and that puts ease of use first. It supports all major image formats and all popular audio files, includes numerous special effects, transitions and writings. The final result can then be burned directly to DVD or exported for sharing.
- DVD Slideshow GUI (Windows) - free program, available only for Windows, which allows you to easily create beautiful animated slideshows. The final result can then be burned to DVD.
- SmartSHOW 3D (Windows) - it is one of the best software in the category, only for Windows. Create video with photos and music to play on PC and TV, share online and burn to DVD. It offers a wide range of ready-to-use templates, transitions, titles and audio effects, as well as three-dimensional video effects and animations. It is paid (the basic version costs 42 euros), but it can also be used in a free trial version that works for 10 days.
For more details about the programs I have just reported to you, you can consult my review of programs to create videos with photos and music.
Programs to Copy DVDs
If you need to transfer the contents of your DVDs to the hard drive of your computer, so that you can play everything directly from your PC or in order to burn new discs, you can contact the DVD copying programs that you find indicated in the following steps.
HandBrake (Windows / MacOS / Linux)
In a guide focusing on what are the best DVD programs, it is virtually impossible not to mention HandBrake, as far as copying operations are concerned. In case you have never heard of it, I would like to inform you that it is a free and open source software, for Windows, macOS and Linux, which allows you to easily convert DVDs to MP4 and MKV video files. It is very flexible and also includes numerous functions to intervene on chapters, subtitles etc.
To download the program on your computer, go to its website and click on the button Download HandBrake x.x.x. When the download is complete, if you are using Windows, april il file .exe obtained and, in the window it is shown to you on the desktop, click on the buttons Yes, Next (twice) e install. Then press the button Finish, to conclude the setup. Then, it recalls the program by selecting the relevant one collegamento which was added to the Start menu.
Stai using MacOS, april il package .dmg ottenuto e trascina l 'HandBrake icon in the folder Applications say macOS, dopodiché fai clic destroyed your di essa and selects the voice apri from the context menu. At this point, click the button apri, in such a way as to open the application going around the limitations that Apple imposes on applications from non-certified developers (operation that must be performed only at the first start).
Regardless of the operating system used, now that you see the software window on the screen, insert the disk you want to copy into the DVD player connected to the computer and select the name of the latter from the menu that appears on the left (if you do not see any menu, press first on the button Open Source which is always at the top left).
Now, expand the menu Presets located at the top right and select the conversion profile of your interest from those listed or, alternatively, the type of device on which you intend to play the DVD after copying.
Then use the drop-down menu Title which is on the left to select the DVD chapter you want to copy, specify the output location, by clicking the button KATEGORIEN located at the bottom, and start the copy procedure by pressing the button Start located at the top left.
If you find this useful, I also point out that, before copying the DVD, you can customize some properties of the final file, such as audio tracks and subtitles. To do this, change the settings you find in the tabs Summary, Dimensions, Filters, Video, Audio, subtitles e Chapters of HandBrake, placed in the center of the program window.
Other DVD Copy Programs
Wheel other programs for DVD by which you can copy your diskettes? In that case, I recommend that you rely on those listed below.
- VLC (Windows / macOS / Linux) - is the program I told you about in the step at the beginning of the guide for what concerns the reproduction of discs. Few people know, but VLC also allows you to copy DVDs to your computer, which is why I chose to report it to you in this list.
- DVDFab DVD Copy (Windows/macOS) - is one of the best programs to copy and rip DVD and Blu-Ray to your computer or other diskettes. Note that it includes a wide range of advanced features that allow you to select only the items to copy from DVD video. It is paid (costs 54,90 dollars), but you can use it in a free trial version that works for 30 days.
- CloneDVD (Windows) - software for Windows operating systems only that allows you to copy DVDs of any kind onto blank diskettes. It allows you to fully customize the copying and burning procedure and offers a host of advanced functions useful in various circumstances. It is paid (it has prices starting from 69 euros for two years, depending on the license chosen), but there is a free trial version that works for 21 days.
For more details about the software listed above, you can refer to my article dedicated specifically to DVD copying programs.
Keep in mind that as regards the possibility of intervening on DVDs equipped with copy protection, an operation that can be useful for creating backup copies of your diskettes and which turns out to be legal only if you also have the original support, not all the programs I have reported to you are suitable. To learn more, you can consult my tutorial on how to copy a protected DVD.
Virtual DVD Programs
Finally, I want to point out a whole series of resources that you can use as a virtual drive, to be able to open image files, as in the case of ISOs (which are the most popular ones), without having to burn them. Therefore, you will find listed below the ones that, in my opinion, represent the best virtual DVD programs present in circulation.
Tool Presets (Windows / MacOS)
On both Windows and Mac, there are predefined tools that can be used to mount a virtual DVD, without having to install third party tools on the system.
To be precise, if you're using Windows 8 / 8.x or Windows 10, just right-click on theimage file icon of your interest and select the item Monta give the menu that comes mostrato.
Next, you will be able to access the newly created virtual drive by opening theFile Explorer (the icon with the gialla poster you find on the taskbar), selecting the voice What PC from the left sidebar and then double clicking on thevirtual drive icon just created, on the right.
Stai using MacOSinstead, just double-click on theimage file icon that you intend to mount and that's it. If the image file does not mount to a virtual drive after double clicking, to fix it, right click on the reference element icon and select the items Open with> DiskImageMounter from the context menu. If you can't find DiskImageMounter in the menu, click on the item Other from the latter and select the utility DiskImageMounter from the folder /System/Library/CoreServices/ say macOS.
Later, the image file will be mounted on the Mac and you can access its contents through the window that will be shown to you on the desktop, or by selecting theicona dell'unità from the desktop or sidebar of the Finder.
DAEMON Tools (Windows/macOS)
Have you ever heard of DAEMON Tools? No? Strange, he is very famous. In any case there is no problem, we fix it instantly. It is a software for Windows and macOS that allows you to mount the content of image files on virtual drives, as well as generate new image files starting practically from scratch. Basically it is free, but to access advanced features, such as the ability to create audio and data images and generate bootable USB drives, you need to activate the various paid packages (at a basic cost of 6,09 euros / month).
To start using the program, go to its website and click on the button Download, in order to start the download. When the download is complete, if you are using Windows, april il file .exe ottenuto and click on your button Yes in the window that appears on the desktop, then click on the button Agree & Install and on that Run. Next, hit the button Yes and wait for the main program window to be visible on the desktop.
Stai using MacOSInstead, open the package .dmg ottenuto e trascina l 'program icon in the folder Applications on your Mac. Then right click on it and select the item apri for two consecutive times. In the window that is now shown on your desk, first click on the button I agree e poi quello Free license, in order to activate the trial version of the program.
At this point, enter the password of the Mac administration in the appropriate field and press the button Install assistant, then start the software by clicking on the button Apri Daemon Tools. If in carrying out the steps described above you are shown on the screen a warning about the fact that a system extension was blocked, to fix it, click on the button Open Security preferences e, nella finestra che si apre, fai click sul pulsador Allow present at the bottom, in correspondence with the wording The system software of the developer "Disc Soft Ltd" was blocked from loading.
Now, regardless of the operating system used, click on the button Quickly mount located at the bottom left, select the image file of your interest through the additional window that opens and click on the button apri.
After completing the above steps, you will be able to access the mounted image file by double clicking on thediskette icon found in the lower left part of the DAEMON Tools window and in the list Images present on the right.
Other Virtual DVD Programs
If the default tools of Windows and macOS for mounting virtual drives have not convinced you and if the use of DAEMON Tools has not satisfied you, you can consider using one of the alternative programs listed below.
- PowerISO (Windows / macOS / Linux) - cross-platform software that allows you to open and edit ISO files and also to create image files of any CD, DVD or Blu-Ray inserted in your PC, as well as rip audio CDs, create bootable disks and convert image files of different formats between them . The program is paid ($ 29,95), but is available in a free 30-day trial version
- Virtual CloneDrive (Windows) - free, quick and intuitive program for assembling image files that replaces the Windows integrated functionality of the context menu with its own. Note that it allows you to set the amount of virtual units used for opening image files, so that more than one can be opened simultaneously.
- WinCDEmu (Windows) - freeware program for Microsoft operating systems only through which it is possible to mount CD and DVD images in virtual drives and use them as if there were really a disk in the PC. It integrates seamlessly with the Windows context menu.
For more information on the programs mentioned above, I invite you to refer to my review focused specifically on programs for ISO, but also valid for other types of image files.